by Malisa Beets & Delina Rahmate
If you are training once or twice daily (or weekly – let’s be honest) you need to replenish glycogen stores in the muscles quickly to prevent fatigue in subsequent workouts. It is recommended that nutrition is consumed within 45 minutes of the workout. Have medium to high GI snacks handy such as a banana, a post- workout drink mix or smoothie. Follow up with a healthy balanced meal or snack (if you don’t have much time).
If you are trying to lose weight it is best to eat between 40-60 minutes after the workout choosing a balanced meal or snack. If you need some fresh ideas for recipes check out Endeavour Bookstore <hyperlink to Endeavour Bookstore> to get inspired!
Post workout nutrition
Always choose a quality protein source, a mix of coloured vegetables, some carbohydrate (either vegetable or grain based) with the addition of healthy fats. Try including a source of fermented foods daily for healthy gut flora such as natural pot set yoghurt, sauerkraut, kimchee and kombucha. It is important to ensure your meals are balanced – so pick ensure an ingredient from each of the food groups below are represented on your plate.
- Brown rice or quinoa – unprocessed carbohydrate
- Chicken, fish, grass fed lean red meat, or vegetarian protein such as eggs, beans, lentils, chick peas or tempeh
- Vegetables – green leafy such as broccoli and spinach, red or orange vegetables such as sweet potato, pumpkin, beetroot and capsicum, salad vegetables of all colours, sauerkraut
- Coconut oil, avocado, flaxseed oil, olive oil
Quick snacks for busy people
Sometimes we have to get back to work and are limited in time to prepare healthy balanced meals and snacks. Snacks should still follow a balance of the important nutrients.
- Yoghurt, fruit, nuts and seeds
- Flaxseed or sprouted bread with salad, protein and tahini
- Mountain bread wrap with salad, protein and avocado
- Vegetable soup with protein (chicken or beans) – pre-prepared to reheat
- Lentil dahl and brown rice – pre-prepared to reheat
- Omelette with Asian greens and mushrooms