By Luisa Blecher – Student Nutrition Practitioner
Vegetarian, Organic, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner | Serves 4
- 2 cups cooked, tri-colour quinoa
- 2 tbsp LSA (Linseed, Sunflower & Almond meal). *Can substitute for linseed meal, extra chia seeds or chia seed meal.
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 8 tbsp water
- 5 large kale leaves, de-veined, rinsed, patted dry, chopped roughly
- 3-4 medium-large zucchini’s. Sliced lengthways, thinly with mandolin or knife
- ¼ – ½ pumpkin. Sliced the same thickness as zucchini, with mandolin or knife
- ¼ cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 3-4 red onions, sliced lengthways into rounds
- 1 tbsp unhulled sesame seeds
- Optional: 2tbsp cumin (or other spice of choice), sprinkled onto pumpkin slices
- 1 pinch Pink Himalayan sea salt
- Cracked pepper to taste
- 8 eggs, whisked *organic if possible, free-range if not
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius & line baking trays with baking paper
- Place sliced zucchini, pumpkin (sprinkled with cumin) & onion on baking trays. Place in oven for 15-20 mins, until veg is slightly cooked/soft. Zucchini may need less time than pumpkin & onion, depending on thickness.
- Remove from oven & set aside.
- Whilst vegetables are baking, measure 1 cup quinoa, pour into sieve, rinse under running cold water & drain. Place quinoa into a medium saucepan. Measure 2cups water (1:2 ratio) & pour into saucepan. Place onto stove top & bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce to low-heat, cover with saucepan lid & simmer until liquid has been absorbed (15-20mins). Remove from heat & remove lid, let sit for 5-ish mins & fluff with fork.
- In a mixing bowl, add chia seeds & LSA. Mix evenly & add water. Whisk until a paste is formed.
- Once quinoa has cooled down a bit. Measure out 2cups & add to chia & LSA mix. Sprinkle in salt, add cracked pepper to taste & mix until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Line a loaf or cake tin with baking paper (can be round/square or rectangle, whatever you prefer)
- Place quinoa crust mixture into the bottom of the tin & even out with a fork. Once even, press down with the back of the fork to stick it together.
- Layer kale leaves flat on-top of quinoa
- Layer pumpkin slices on top of kale
- Layer red onion on top of pumpkin
- Layer zucchini slices on top of red onion
- Pour whisked eggs slowly on top of zucchini slices so egg sinks through the layers
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Place in oven for 30 mins, remove & place cauliflower florets ontop of vegetable bake
- Place back in oven for 15-25 mins.
- All together will be cooking for 45-55 mins, until egg has completely cooked *checking the middle with a skewer
Serve hot, straight from the oven. Serve alone or with one of these delicious ideas:
- Chunky beetroot relish: 2 beetroots, 2 carrots, 2tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 bunch coriander, 1tbsp extra virgin coconut oil. Blended until small chunks
- Quick, easy hummus: 1 can organic chickpeas, rinsed well & drained. 2tbsp tahini, juice of 1 lemon, 1 pinch pink Himalayan sea salt, 1tbsp cumin. Blend all until smooth. Add 1 pinch paprika to sprinkle for serving.
- A side of greens: Steamed broccolini & green beans. Drizzled with a tahini dressing- 2tbsp unhulled tahini whisked with 2tbsp apple cider vinegar. Sprinkle with slivered almonds.
Thank you for the feature! It’s exciting seeing my own work up here!