New Year, new goals, new promises! It can be overwhelming in the New Year to feel like you need to undertake a complete life overhaul, improve all areas of your health and suddenly become vice-free— all overnight!
A common reason people don’t achieve their goals is that they set them too high! Does this sound familiar? “I want to lose weight and ‘get fit’…so I’m going to hit the gym 5 days a week, every week!” Then day two comes and they’re tired and sore. “Hmm, maybe next year. I can’t keep up this pace.” And they’re right; they can’t keep up that pace.
It’s important to set yourself small and achievable goals at the beginning.
If you’d like to workout 5 days a week, then start with just 2 days a week for the first month. If you want to practise yoga for an hour a day, then start with just 15 minutes a day for the first month.
When you scale back your goal to a more achievable, introductory level, your goal will become less daunting. And when a goal is less daunting, you’re more likely to feel positive about the commitment and actually commit to the goal.
It’s true. Momentum creates motivation, so starting small will inevitably lead to healthy habits.
5 healthy habits to try
1. If you want to detox your body… Drink a glass of warm lemon water each morning before breakfast. Here are some natural detox tips.
2. If you want to feel happier in 2018… try getting back to nature. Ever heard of the Japanese practise of forest bathing?
3. If you want to be more mindful… try a quick 10-minute meditation upon waking. There are plenty of great meditation apps to help you get going.
4. If you want to have better posture… Stretch for 5 minutes at your work desk with these exercises — Download this Desk Stretching eBook
5. If you want to eat more vegetables… Try this wholesome meat-less loaf recipe
What small steps will you take today, to achieve your 2018 goals?