By Marie Hopkinson
The Kick-a-Cold Sichuan Chicken Noodle Soup has several therapeutic properties. It is a Gluten Free, Nut Free and Dairy Free meal with vegetarian options. Based on Chinese Medicine, this meal is made to nourish and warm the Spleen, promoting sweating for which is good for the common cold. In Chinese Medicine this imbalance is known as Wind/Heat or Wind/ Cold.
- 2 chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 4 cups of stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 5 shitake mushrooms (dried or fresh)
- 2 spring onions
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- Coriander, chopped
- 1tbsp of cooking sake*
- small piece of dried citrus peel( chen pi)*
- ½ tsp of ground Sichuan pepper*
- ½ a pack of dried rice noodles or fresh flat rice noodles*
* Items available from any good quality Asian supermarket.
- Boil water and cook rice noodles as per instructions till al dente. Drain and set aside.
- If using dried mushrooms soak them in warm water for 15-20 minutes. Squeeze out excess water and cut off stems. Cut mushrooms into slices.
- In a thick bottomed medium size saucepan sauté the spring onions and mushrooms till soft.
- Add stock, chicken or tofu, sake, spices, soy sauce, Sichuan and black peppers and bring to boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the noodles in the bottom of each serving bowl and pour soup over them. Remove cinnamon, citrus peel and star anise before serving Top with sliced spring onions and/or coriander.
- Enjoy mindfully.